Penn Serves volunteered at UCLA Mattel Children’s Hospital at the Hospital’s annual Holiday party on Saturday, December 14th. The party was coordinated through the Chase Child Life Program and included patients and their families in a joyous celebration of the holidays and an opportunity to enjoy some sweets while taking a break from their hospital stay!
Penn Serves volunteers shared their Quaker holiday spirit while greeting and serving ice cream cookie sandwiches from Diddy Riese to the patients and their families.
The Child Life Program at UCLA Mattel Children’s Hospital helps children and adolescent patients cope with the fears and anxieties of hospitalization by offering therapeutic activities tailored to meet their social, emotional, and educational needs which contributes to healing and tries to make the hospital experience as normal as possible.
The Child Life program is nearly 50% philanthropically funded by generous donors and foundations.
More information on the program can be found here: https://www.uclahealth.org/mattel/chase-child-life.
Contributions or ways to get involved can by found online, or by contacting Danielle Dietz, Director of Strategic Partnerships and Development at UCLA Health Sciences Development at email@example.com .
Thank you to Anthony Orlando, Denise Karagulle, Erica Howard, Jason Resnick, Carolyn Newman, and Lisa Cohen for volunteering.
About Penn Serves LA
Penn Serves LA impacts the Los Angeles community by engaging University of Pennsylvania alumni, parents and families in meaningful community service activities.
Since our founding in 2012, we have done everything from serving meals to the homeless to restoring the environment to fixing homes. Six times annually, we find another great opportunity to learn about interesting nonprofits, lend a hand and enjoy a fun experience with fellow alumni.
We invite the Penn community in Los Angeles (alumni, parents, and kids) to join us at a future event, to help spread the word and to help us plan future activities. Join us, meet new Penn people, demonstrate what service means to your kids and friends, and help fellow Quakers make a little bit of difference in our complex city!
If you have an established nonprofit that you would like us to consider for future events or announcements, please let us know. We are looking for new nonprofits to serve in meaningful ways.
Questions? Want to join our email list? Reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram and Twitter!
The Penn Serves LA Team
Jane Gutman, CW’73, PAR’14, PAR’16 | Lisa Cohen, C’85, PAR’15 | Leanne Huebner, W’90| Cheryl Nakao-Miller W’81|Irene Park, C’05 Kiera Reilly, C’93|Denise Winner, W’83, PAR’21
Our previous events:
- March, 2019 – Be a Doll, Make a Difference
- January, 2019 – Penn Serves LA Joins Santa Monica Homeless Count
- October, 2018 – Gardening with A Place Called Home
- September, 2018 – Gardener Day with Pasadena Educational Foundation
- August, 2018 – Gentle Barn
- April, 2018 – Skid Row Trust
- March, 2018 – Piece by Piece
- February, 2018 – Homeboy Industries/HomeGirl Cafe/Dolores Mission
- January, 2018 – New Year Social
- 2016 – 2017 – Year in Review
- October, 2017 – Penn Serves LA and TreePeople at the Audubon Center
- September, 2017 – Penn Serves LA Restores the Ballona Wetlands
- August, 2017- LA Works Pop-Up Day of Service
- July, 2017 – Portraits of Hope
- May, 2017 – Food Forward
- April, 2017 – Habitat for Humanity
- January, 2017 – Penn Serves LA Toasts the New Year
- January, 2017 – Blankets of Love
- November, 2016 – L.A. Kitchen
- October, 2016 – Got Books? Penn Serves LA Staff’s ICEF First Literacy Festival
- March, 2016 – Rescue Rabbits
- October, 2015 – Penn Serves Picks Packs of Peppers at Westside Food Bank
- September, 2015 – Penn Serves LA Reads to Kids
- July, 2015 – Penn Serves LA: Harvesting a Garden for Veterans
- June, 2015 – Penn Serves LA Spruces up a New Charter School
- June, 2015 – Penn Serves LA Has the Giving Spirit
- August, 2014 – Penn Serves LA Strikes Again: This Time with Paint!
- December, 2013 – Holidays are a Time for Giving
- November, 2013 – Sending Holiday Warmth to our Troops
- August and September, 2013 – Serving the Environment and LA Leadership Academy
- May, 2013 – One on One Outreach
- March, 2013 – Habitat for Humanity
- January, 2013 – Inner City Arts
- September, 2012 – The Midnight Mission
- June, 2012 – Turning Point Shelter