Thanks to classmate Ellen Liebman, C’93, the video of the College of Arts and Sciences graduation from twenty-five years ago has been shared on YouTube!
Ellen found the VHS tapes in her office at Penn and converted them to digital format and uploaded them. You can hear each major being called to the front and every single graduate’s name being announced.
The graudation was held in Convention Hall, now gone and replaced by buildings for Penn Medicine.
The College commencement address was given by Bob Schieffer, father of our classmate Sharon Schieffer Baird.
Ellen posted the ceremony in segments to make it easier for viewing. Watch and see if you remember any of it – Bob Schieffer said we wouldn’t!
College Graduation 1993
Faculty procession down the center aisle. School of Arts and Sciences Dean Rosemary Stevens opens the graduation ceremony. Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education and Director for the College Matthew Santoraco share remarks. He then announces the distinguished student speaker Margo Schaye (not sure of spelling).
Continuation of Margo’s speech. The introduction of the graduation speaker Bob Schieffer (and he references the Walnut Walk!)
Bob Schieffer’s address. The beginning of the roll call of graduates, starting with the Department of American Civilization. Then Anthropology and some confusion.
Announcing names – video begins with English majors.
Still announcing individual names
The last few names, the conclusion and the singing of, “The Red and the Blue.”
Penn Class of 1993 25th Reunion Countdown
The weekend of March 2 – 3, marked 10 weeks until the 25th Reunion of the Penn Class of 1993 (May 11 – 14, 2018)! Meet us at the Button!
Join us we count down the weeks to our reunion #93tothe25th:
- Do you have old photos or mementos from our time at Penn? Photos of Spring Fling? Football at Franklin Field? Classes at DRL? We are taking a trip down memory lane and would love for you to share your memories with our class in a future post. Please email us firstname.lastname@example.org!
- Follow us on Twitter, Tumblr, and Instagram.
- Classmates are invited to join our Facebook and LinkedIn groups.
- Donate to The Penn Fund in honor of our reunion! We want to break the 25th reunion participation giving record and every gift matters!
- Book your hotel room or AirBnB for Alumni Weekend. See our class website for links to hotel options.