By Joanna Popper WG’00, Global Head of Virtual Reality for Location Based Entertainment at HP
Thanks to the Trustees’ Council Women of University of Pennsylvania and Headspace Inc. for hosting a great conversation on Working in Tech in Los Angeles on June 12, 2018. What a great group with HP, SpaceX, Hyperloop One, Fandango and AutoGravity represented. It was fun with fellow panelists, moderator and hosts Meesh Pierce W93 WG98, Shari Wakiyama WG’04, Stella Latscha ENG13 GEN13, Diana Zhou WG’16,, Michal Clements W’84WG’89 and Sean Brecker WG’03.
What did we learn:
- It is important to create an inclusive environment in this fast-growing field as data shows that women and other underrepresented groups in leadership lead to better products, financials, stock prices, decision-making, and leadership
- Careers are often a winding path and it is about learning along the way.
- There are lots of ways to work in tech. Cutting edge VR, space, media/film, transportation, finance, and meditation industries were all represented at this event as well as engineering, strategy, marketing, business development, operations and more.
- Always negotiate for a job/ raise/ promotion. Then negotiate more.
- Not every culture and company fits every person. That’s OK. Find what works for you.
- We also contribute to the culture of a company. Draw your lines in the sand.
- Meditation is good for us.