Author: Casey Ryan, C’95
I am confident that if you ask any alumnus/a from the nineties about Penn’s knack for creative acronyms, you will get a laugh and a story about a memorable one. From standing in line in Palestra at CUPID* for my Penn Card to calling PARIS* one last time to see if I passed Business Italian and if I would actually graduate, I remember that my life at Penn was peppered with acronyms and initialisms. I wanted to share with you my favorite current acronyms from campus.
10. PASS – Penn Alumni Student Society
9. SPEC – Social Planning and Events Committee (can’t have a fling without ’em).
8. PENNCAP – Pennsylvania College Achievement Program
7. WCIT – Wharton Computing and Information Technology, pronounced like “wicket.”
6. MAP – Major Advising Program, “You don’t have to be ‘lost’ to take advantage of MAP, just curious.”
5. LIFE Program – Living Independently for Elders Program
4. Penn ReunionFACTS – Penn Reunion Fall Alumni Class Training Session
3. WHALASA – Wharton Latin American Student Association
2. JBaGeL – Penn’s Jewish LGBTQIA Community, from Jewish Bisexual Gay and Lesbians
1. PHINS – Peers Helping Incoming New Students, which references the dolphin on the Penn Shield.
I’d love to hear what your favorites Penn acronyms are, whether they are still used or are a blast from the past.